Wednesday, November 22, 2017

19 U-turns and Counting

Hello, All--

...kitchen space...
This week was lots of rain, lots of confusion, and lots of growth! And lots of deer if you're curious. I'm basically out in the middle of nowhere of the zone, little place called Alta Sierra that's apparently so unknown that a lady living a little ways away actually didn't know Alta Sierra was a place and she's lived here 23 years!

But it's a beautiful area and now that it's raining a lot, things are starting to turn green (aside from the trees they're losing plenty of color and leaves) so it's really cool!

Our apartment is pretty big...
FROSTY. As for my Sister Whitesell moment of the week, there's always plenty but I'd say my reaction to there being frost on the car would be a good one, aside from all my U-turns. We walked out to the car and I got in, turned on the windshield wipers to wipe off what I thought was a thicker layer of water on the car but guess what it wasn't! I was so hyped!! I used a washcloth to wipe it off, which actually worked pretty well. It's been a long week, so as of late, even the small things are pretty entertaining to me. You're welcome for those 20 seconds it took to read that paragraph gone.
Yes, that's FROST! It means it
can actually get cooler out here
...bedroom...

NEW COMPANION. At any rate, there was just so much that happened that I don't know where to start. Sister Hatch and I are very different people, but that's what brings the best missionary work to the table. Two different tactics that eventually work well together, to teach others in the way they need to hear the gospel, or increase their desire to come closer to Christ.

I got to see Elder Yates! He is one
of the coolest humans. His twin is
the Yates from my MTC district
Amazing views
She's from Arizona,
That bed frame (from the trio) is still sitting in the
middle of the living room in Auburn, from
what I've been told...
6th of 7 kids (kudos to her mom, that's more than a handful!), and she's one who always knew she'd be going on a mission. We're excited to see more of why we're both here right now, to serve the people in this area! She's a little quieter too, so I get to really practice what I learned from Sister Wright, regarding holding conversations and engaging people, asking the right questions that will show others we care. It's a cool growing experience!

...and we each have our OWN bathroom, wow!
REMEMBERING NAMES. Missionaries use an "areabook" to keep track of information and our schedule. It's basically our entire life in an app! I don't know if I've talked about that before. But we didn't get ours downloaded until Friday because of transfers, so there was a lot of "hurry up and wait" that went on Tuesday to Friday.

Car selfie
But now we've had meetings with Ward Mission Leaders, and have a lot more information to use, and I'm excited to see what this week brings! There were a few days last week where I came home completely spent; my brain was working overtime to learn new names, and backgrounds of people in TWO congregations.
One of the few trees with ALL
the fall colors! Reminds me of
Massachusetts a bit
Then Sunday, oh man...there was a Ward Council meeting at 10, regular church for the Alta Sierra Ward (congregation) from 11-1, then leave early to go to the other congregation's meetings, Lake of the Pines from 1-4 p.m. 6 hours of church in a row, then dinner at 5, then an inspirational meeting broadcast at 7. We didn't get to go home at all after we left the house that morning.

another selfie! (we can't get many
other pictures as a companionship,
unless they're selfies)
WHEN THINGS GET HARD. I'll leave you with this thought, regarding introspection and knowing ourselves...Missions are hard, especially in a new area with a new companion, especially when neither of you know the area or people! When things get hard, I tend to turn inward and close off a bit. (Working on this.) The "closing off" affects my work habits a bit, as well.
CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!
GUYS IT'S HAPPENING

I read a conference talk this week, and the ending struck me as insightful. We may be put in situations or given assignments that we don't love. That's just life. The passage said: accept whatever assignment the Lord gives you and stay with it until He releases you. I've been releasing myself sometimes, unintentionally, from the calling that I have to serve my companion and this ward (congregation) to the best of my ability in the short time that I have here.

My mom wanted a Christmas
letter picture so we had a
photoshoot yesterday...
After reading that, I've been able to make a conscious effort when I notice myself starting to get tired. I try to perk up, remember my calling, re-energize and get excited for the amazing work there is to do! It's all in the attitude, and I'll be honest, I didn't fully understand how to "fix my attitude" until this talk. I'm excited to see what potential there is as the work continues!
If you don't recognize the outfit,
you shouldn't...Thanks Sister Kikel
(Mekkenna now) for the clothes
and Sister Wright for the shoes!
I've basically got a whole
new wardrobe now

Horse Cleanup volunteer crew!
As missionaries you learn to love any
service project
Hopefully everyone's doing their best with the curveballs life throws at you: school, work, or just life in general. I always love hearing from you. Good luck this week! And as an amazing missionary often says (@HermanaOrton) Go kick some trash!

Sister Whitesell
teresa.whitesell@myldsorg.net

...we know I don't do normal
pictures well...
Sister Teresa Whitesell
14614 Gold Creek Ct. #B
Grass Valley, CA 95949

No comments:

Post a Comment