Tuesday, May 15, 2018

When Mother's Day is as big of a holiday as Christmas

yellow
Shalom! Guess what, it's been a whole week. Yeah, I know, crazy. This was simultaneously super long and super short, it was weird. But I'm still adjusting to the crazy Roseville life, and continue to be happily surprised as more people have pit bulls than they do small dogs. I'm content!
2-week old puppies!

The Young Women gave us a
ridiculously large basket of amazing
candy called "bucket of sunshine"
cause everything is yellow!
why not
MINI TRAVELS. I guess I can start by saying I took a field trip to Gridley this past Tuesday and Wednesday! Yup, a 2-day exchange, believe it or not. Well it was indeed, and I had to be trained for a few new responsibilities I have. But Sister Mawby and I had a blast and a half as we did work in a weird but productive way. By weird I mean we did a lot more "studies" than we normally do because I had to learn the ropes some, so we got a ton done but it wasn't necessarily in the form of talking to a bajillion people like I'm used to. But it was really cool and I'm excited to implement what I've learned! Sister Mawby is amazing and hilarious, and we just had fun while we did the work.
just one of many pets

we made all the Samoan food!
ADDITIONAL SISTER. Also, she accidentally stole one of the Elder's volleyballs. Instead of ransoming it, we took Paula (the Volleyball) on a bunch of adventures with us! Pictures will be included :) Paula Pinkston got to go horseback riding while we supervised, took a short trip down a lazy river, and even got to ride shotgun as we drove around. Honestly, you just have to find all sorts of ridiculous ways to have fun on your mission, 'cause life is about finding joy in the little things, right? If you don't believe that, go find some lemons or something and make lemonade, because you need some joy!

trusting the missionaries
in the kitchen
Side Note: in Gridley they have glow-in-the-dark stars on their ceiling, and I'm determined to find some for our apartment. I forgot how much I love those!

Roseville sunset
The rest of the week was normal with Sister Curtis (who's that? my actual companion, remember, the one I was supposed to spend this transfer with but apparently will just continue to ditch to go to other areas...) I'm not kidding, the first 8 days I was here, I spent over half of them with someone other than Sister Curtis. But it was nice to just spend the rest of the week doing missionary work together, and not have to worry about running around everywhere.

finding my Happy Place with
Joey the Mastiff :)
NEW VALUABLE SKILLS. Hey guess what! I also learned how to make some Samoan food! One of the part-member families had us come over and make authentic chopped sui, and lu-pelu and it was so good! I don't think I'd eaten that much since Thanksgiving honestly. And yes, I did actually make most of the lu-pelu, believe it or not! Sister Rios gave me the ingredients and I cooked it :) Somehow Sister Curtis got carrot on the floor from her dish even though it was a HUGE pot, but it's okay because the dogs got to taste test our dinner for us.
go Sister Curtis!

MOTHER'S DAY. The highlight of the week was Sunday for me, for a few reasons. First and foremost, I GOT TO SKYPE THE FAM!! It was kinda surreal cause I haven't seen them since Christmas, and I haven't seen them in person for over a year now (I guess I'm "old" in the mission at this point?). But it was amazing to talk to them and just catch up, tell some stories about the cockroaches we have, and some of the ridiculous things I've gotten to do over the past little while.

But it was just amazing to see them, and good to know that they're all still alive and well, despite the fact that they had to get up way before the sun for seminary the past school year.
exchanges at 8:30 p.m. at a closed Mexican
restaurant...in the "nice" part of town?! oops

Another good part of Sunday was church itself. Phil came! And I got to give a talk (it's fine, I'm fine). It actually went pretty well, from the feedback I heard. Then we also got to teach the Young Women's class! (girls 12-18). It was fun to answer question they had about missions, and just talk to them about how much of an influence they have, and how to strengthen their testimonies and faith.
exchanges with Sister Mawby
and Paula the volleyball

GOOD REMINDER. Something that came up over and over again this week for me was the importance of prayer. I cannot emphasize enough just how important prayer is, because that relationship with Heavenly Father is crucial to the peace and joy we can't find any other way! When we pray, He knows that we are focused and ready for direction and answers.
more exchanges pics

I've been at a loss on what to do at times this week, and I've been given the answer that my first companion (shoutout to the best mission mom ever, Sister Hood @S.Hood) gave me always, which was "pray about it." As simple as it sounds, that's all it takes! It's the small and simple things that bring us closer to Him, and I could not be doing what I am without His help.

Paula was a natural rider
The only way to grow is to change, so if you feel like you're stuck, change something. Adjust your pace, and maybe even stop walking and start running. You're all amazing and I'm sure the world is still spinning even though time sometimes stands still in the little missionary bubble.

can't beat the Mother's Day call :) :) :)
Keep it real!
Sister Whitesell

teresa.whitesell@myldsmail.net
5 Marcia Way #131
Roseville, CA 95747


No comments:

Post a Comment