Tuesday, June 12, 2018

The Sisteren: The End of an Era (ft Martis and Terrell)

Some of my favorite humans
CHANGES. Yup, it's that time of mission life again when transfers roll around and you get super stressed about it on Friday and Saturday, cause you have no idea what's gonna happen for the next 6 weeks. Then Sunday morning rolls around and you hear your alarm go off but don't wake up to it because you've already been awake longer than you want to admit. You scramble to grab your tablet, and anxiously wait for an email to come from your Zone Leaders, that will reveal the future.

just a few of the Keith kids!
(H is not featured)
6:30 a.m. tennis, anyone?
Well, it came at about 6:38 this time around and, I hate to say this, but Sister Curtis is leaving. I'm simultaneously torn up because we 100% didn't have enough time together and so excited because she's going to her second area and gonna learn SO MUCH! I love her to death, and you wouldn't believe how much I've learned from her. Six weeks have literally flown by, and we got so much done and met so many people, and I got a little attached, so this'll be fun to say bye to her tomorrow...it's fine, I'm fine! I've loved working with her, and growing in this area with her! I'm not eloquent enough with my words to explain everything we've gone through in 42 days, but just know that she has helped me more than she'll probably ever realize!
had to get the name tag pic with tennis rackets

Sister Phillip!
So now you might be wondering who my next companion will be. Well, I got a phone call on Saturday night from President Ward. When he calls, you know either you or your companion will be asked to be a Sister Training Leader or Training a new missionary. He told me I'd be getting an excited phone call from Sister Johnson the next morning. Sure enough, shortly after transfer boards came out, the phone rang and I picked it up, only to hear yelling coming from Sister Johnson's end. Then after a few seconds, the words finally came through: "SISTER WHITESELL YOU'RE TRAINING!!!"

Bro Keith and our overly excited thumbs up
THE PERFECT CHEERING SQUAD. So guess what! I don't know who my companion is until Thursday morning! I'm excited, if not a little nervous (but that's life, let's be real) to be training a new sister! On top of taking over the Roseville 6th Ward, and continuing my stewardship as Sister Training Leader. Life's kinda funny like that. But I'm so excited and ready to take it all on! Plus I know that I have the perfect cheering squad who knows me perfectly and is helping every step of the way! When we have challenges, we can know that if we stay faithful, Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost won't ever leave you hanging with more than you can handle! Cheesy I know, but it's a valuable lesson I've learned.
We can't do gym tool pics sorry,
there weren't even any weights
to work with :0

sadly not the first time I've
done this on my mission
SURPRISE FLOOD. Ridiculous moment of the week ;) oh man I love this family: The Keith's have somehow managed to find the balance of crazy spiritual and crazy temporal. With 4 kids all under the age of 10, it can get a little hectic. Well, we were at their house for dinner, and I am eating my salad, ignoring the fact that Hazel, age 4, is wiping her spoon on me after dipping it in her water. Well all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see a miniature tidal wave come splashing onto my plate and lap. I quickly turn and see two big, innocent eyes staring at me, with her mouth in the blowfish face as the final spurts of water come out of her mouth at my shoulder. Basically, I was the victim of a spit and run with Hazel as the perpetrator! She'd taken a huge mouthful of water and sprayed me! There's a first time for everything, isn't there :)

the man, the myth, the legend: Phil!
(or Phil Nye, the Science Guy)
FLASHBACK. In other news, I got to go on an exchange with Sister King this week! Does that name sound familiar? Like 1 year ago familiar? Yup, I was able to spend an amazing 24 hours with my old MTC comp :) and let me tell you, as soon as we set foot back in her apartment, she gave me some good spiritual slaps! (And when I say spiritual slaps, I just mean she was able to give me a good pep talk, and point out a few adjustments I can continue to make with my self-concept and how qualified I am. She's good!) It was amazing to see the growth she's had, and be able to hear from her the growth she's seen in me too.
game night, anyone?

Nicole is the sweetest human!
LOVING THE GOSPEL TRUTHS. This week was another blur, so I'm trying to think of the best nuggets to share. Oh yeah! Just a quick shout out to one of my favorite investigators, Nicole (you'll all meet her at my wedding, cause that's where everyone will meet everyone). She is crazy amazing, and has made so much progress since I've been here and is so prepared for the gospel! I've never had someone I teach bear their testimony in church, start personal and family scripture study, want to do Family Home Evening, AND defend the church for a solid HALF HOUR because she knows so much, and only wants to learn more! It's crazy the people you meet on your mission.
first time making s'mores
without an open flame

guys, I knew we'd get along
as soon as she started wandering
and multitasking while brushing
her teeth: something I've been
made fun of for in the past :)
I'll end with one of the biggest lessons I've learned from Sister Curtis. I've spent my entire mission working on showing love to others in a way they recognize and feel, but isn't too far out of my comfort zone. However, I still had a long way to go. Coming to this area, I had an instant connection with my companion, and that gave me the opportunity to learn to love a lot faster too! She has been a huge example to me of how to help others feel the love that Heavenly Father has for them. I've never seen someone with a bigger heart, and only hope I can continue to fill her shoes as she heads out to Orangevale!

Sister King and I still have the same pillows
from when we first got into the field
CHARITY THE ULTIMATE ATTRIBUTE. Our life on earth is a time to prepare to meet God through trial and error. My mission has allowed me to meet every kind of person from every walk of life, and learn that no matter who they are, they are loved. The most important thing we can do as we strive to be like Him is to show charity.

People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care and sometimes, people just need someone to show them that love. As humans, we're pretty good at ignoring the love He shows us. The best way to understand the love He has for you is to serve someone else. I'm so grateful that I can be a window to His love, and hope that each of you can reach out and show someone that they're worth it!

Sister Whitesell
Sister King and I pulled out our creative sides
(I did the green, she did the white)
for an amazing lesson on faith!

teresa.whitesell@myldsmail.net
5 Marcia Way Apt 131
Roseville, CA 95747


No comments:

Post a Comment