Monday, July 9, 2018

Where The Wild Things Are

We were doing 12-week, and Kelly
from the Rocklin YSA was doing a
camp nearby, recognized us, and came
over to say Hey! It's always good to
see people from past areas :)
I think when the author wrote that book, he was actually talking about missions. Seriously, the craziest stuff happens when you're out and about! And you get to see the ends of every spectrum life has to offer. It's pretty cool!

More 12-week at the park
CELEBRATION OF SORTS. Well, the 4th of July has come and gone, which means the fireworks are also gone. As much of a shock this is to Sister Tuha, not every state does fireworks throughout the entire month of July to celebrate the 4th of July and Pioneer Day (on the 24th). Don't ask me what Pioneer Day is, because I'm not well versed enough in Utah traditions to know the specifics of the celebration. Something about when Pioneers arrived in Utah? I know many things, but that is not one of them.

Zone preparation day for the 2nd of
July! Water balloon sports all day
What DID we do to celebrate, you may ask? Well, we got some sparklers (cause they're legal in Roseville!) and poppers, and sat outside our apartment and figured out which gap in the trees related to which neighborhood, that we knew people would be shooting fireworks off from! We got to watch part of a show that a family down the street put on, and another part of a show from Rosalyn and her family! It was fun to be able to pinpoint where they would come up, and know exactly who was setting off some of the fireworks we saw! It was 1000x better than last year, sorry Sister Hood! We had fun:)
Stars and stripes forever

Ellie, Nicole's daughter, had the best
lemonade stand I've ever seen!
LIFE LESSONS. I'm just gonna take a second to appreciate Rosalyn and her family again. They had us over for 4th of July dinner, and they're not even church members, and it was amazing! They're all just so fun, and we talked to Bri and Sophia their daughters a lot of the time, and Efren did the grilling while Rosalyn taught us some chef skills. Granted, she's one of those masters who cooks in the way of "Toss in a handful of X. If it still smells raw, put in some more." I, on the other hand, need exact measurements! Thankfully we didn't mess anything up but still, I don't know how people do it.
What our leadership skype meetings
actually look like

It was also a little comical to show them the Mormon Message "Where Justice, Love and Mercy Meet" because the bulk of it is: two teenage boys being not-so-smart, climbing up a cliff wall without ropes, with the very real potential of dying. Everyone watching was on the edge of their seats, commentating on how dumb they were, and "if I was their parents, they'd be in big trouble!" It was so great to listen to! It's really about how Christ will always be there for us, even when we feel like we can't move on and have to take a leap of faith. Go watch it!
Mission Leadership Conference selfie
ft President and Sister Ward
Zone Conference prep
assignment: acquire
classified info about the
Mission President

This week we also got to:

*help clean a lady's closet. One of those kinds that they have in movies, where you open it and things fall out, yup. It was about floor to head height full of stuff just thrown in there, I wish I'd taken before and after pics! We also...

*listened to someone we're teaching serenade us

*did 2 U-turns to talk to a man with a cane and a story

*I wore the red, white and blue shorts under my skirt all day on the 4th

dinner on the 4th of July
*learned about how the gospel of Jesus Christ is really a trap for the wicked, if they're willing to 'get caught' and change

*studied about the next life, according to the Jehovah's Witnesses

*my MTC (Mission Training Center) card worked as a student ID so I got a deal at Costa Vida, and
4th of July celebrating!

*got lemonade from the cutest entrepreneur in town! (why is that word spelled like it is...)

PERSONAL TESTIMONY. This week it was reemphasized to me the importance of sharing my testimony. That is something that's mine, and has kept me grounded during some of the hardest times of my life. I know that I can't force anyone to do anything, and that there's no way for me to give someone a testimony of what I believe. I have the beliefs I do because of the experiences I have, and I know I can be a part of some experiences that help someone else's testimony grow.

Red White and Blue
facepaint rules!!!!!!
But, you need to find out for yourself who you are and what you believe in. The doctrine I teach about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, His gospel and how it was restored through the prophet Joseph Smith, that I know where I came from and what happens next, that if I endure to the end and focus on what is possible because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, is what really brings me joy!

yep the helmet fits the bun
I wouldn't be where I am today without that understanding, and I know MY life and experiences aren't what give YOU your personal foundation. But I can 100% share what I know with my whole heart, and give everything I have so others can learn to experience the peace and joy He brings!
A couple of sisters helped me understand this week that the reason missions are so hard is that a mission strips you down to your core. It takes away everything you were before, because Heavenly Father wants you to figure out who you really are. It takes the apple you were and cuts away at it, until all that's left is a seed that He can, if we plant it, strengthen and grow into the person He knows will make us the happiest, that fulfills the potential He sees in us.
Sister Thornhill cause we've never
actually taken a picture together;
our friendship started with a matching
watch and broken phone

Thank you for everything you each do; go look for those miracles He knows we need!

she's just jealous
Sister Whitesell

teresa.whitesell@myldsmail.net

5 Marcia Way Apt. 131
Roseville, CA 95747

No comments:

Post a Comment