Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Wrightsell Breakup

Hello, Everybody--

Guys, it happened. Wrightsell is splitting up! She told me yesterday she doesn't want to be companions anymore. That it's not just me, that we both have to move on and do better things. So I'm going to Auburn!

 NEW AREA SOON. Transfer boards came out yesterday, and I'll be leaving my greenie area, and officially drop everything greenie! I'll be in a trio, with Sister Kikel and Swenson. Ask me how a trio's gonna work out. I have no idea, because I've never been in one, and there's literally only one sister trio in the entire mission! But I'm excited, and looking forward to learning new things and pushing myself in the "real world."

Remember when Sister Hood and I weeded that
huge section of grass? Well it was back in full
bloom so we weeded it again, and I got to lay
brick which was actually really fun
Chico is all I know, so it will definitely be a big change. One really cool thing that I noticed about the end of this transfer is how I feel regarding leaving. Here's a secret: every time transfer boards come out, all missionaries have that thought, of "what if I'm on the board," for at least a second. And last transfer, when that thought came by, I was a little freaked out, because I felt like I hadn't done all I could, or was supposed to do in Chico. This time, I feel very ready and am satisfied that I did my job in Chico, and it's time to move on to a new area.

And of course, as Chico 5th goes, "One greenie out, and a new one in!" So Sister Wright will be training somebody brand new to the mission. I'm so excited for her, because she's such an amazing missionary. She can get literally anyone pumped about missionary work. The next missionary coming in has one of the best trainers she can get out there!

District Picture from our final district meeting
HUGE DISTRICT. Quick tangent: District sizes are usually about 6 missionaries, maybe 8 but very rarely more than that. We have 20 missionaries in Chico. I think it's the biggest zone in the mission, but I'm going to a zone with 17. And guess what, we're ALL in the SAME district! So I'll update you on how ridiculous District Meeting is, or if they do actually split us. But the whole zone is one district! It'll definitely be a change.

It's been a crazy week! Super busy, but especially so as we update areabook people and make changes, so everything is prepped for me leaving and Sister Wright taking over and training. Everything needs to be especially clear. And on top of all the prep, we did normal missionary work, too!

Last Monday, though, we actually got taught by a member of the congregation. She didn't get to teach on Sunday, a lesson she had prepped as a sub, so she taught us instead! It was so cool to be taught in that setting, and not teach.

Ripping up carpet is always a blast
FLUFFY DOG and SPIRIT STICKS. We also talked to random people as we always do, and almost got mauled by a huge dog (but not really, because it was the friendliest, fluffy thing you've ever seen)! We set up a time to text a "less active" member of the congregation, to remind her to buy a dress so she can come back to church! (Dresses are not actually REQUIRED, to come to church! But most people do dress up. Sometimes people just feel more comfortable, dressed up for church.)

We gave Sister Orr her "spirit sticks" pack and she got really excited! That made Sister Wright and I so happy:) :) :) We had weekly hammock planning, and jammed to Call Me Maybe at the subway, because we're missionaries and never get pop music, even if it's Call Me Maybe...

Party at Linda's!
We threw a surprise party for Linda's birthday (also my last day of service with Linda--I'm gonna miss it!) And, she has been in denial that I'm leaving, since last week. We went to see the sunset at the lookout point they have closeby, and just got to enjoy it, and also went stargazing at the Hermanas apartment complex until they arrived back home, so we could grab a few things from them. Just the usual weird missionary things!

P..A..R..T..Y!!!
SPIRITUAL BOOST. Okok, now to the really exciting stuff: General Conference! (Every 6 months we get to hear inspirational talks from our church leaders in Salt Lake City. There are five 2-hour conferences over the course of Saturday and Sunday, and it is really uplifting with great messages.) Granted, I may never be as stoked as Sister Wright, for General Conference, but I don't know if anyone is. As always, it was really good though, and I hope you guys got to watch! If not, that's okay. I have some highlights. (but really you should read or watch them, because the message I got from the talks, would be different from what YOU would get from them).

Just to emphasize a bit more just how excited
Sister Wright is about Conference. It was almost
as fun to watch Sister Wright, as it was to
watch conference!
PERFECTION AS A PROCESS. Of course Elder Holland spoke, and it was an amazing talk! One thing I've noticed a lot on the mission, especially with so many rules and different people, is the Comparison Game, which I know we all do daily to some degree. With the Comparison Game, someone ends up being put down...and usually because we don't want to put down anyone else, we put ourselves down. And on my mission, with so many goals and ideals, I've played the Comparison Game more often with myself. I compare what I WANT to be with what I AM, and of course what I AM is going to lose, because I'm not where I want to be yet.

Thelma and Vivian!
I'll miss the nuggets
But Elder Holland focused so much on how we are all here to become perfected. We aren't perfect yet! "Aim for gradual improvement instead of impractical perfection." Our perfection is also going to come eventually over time in the eternities. We aren't supposed to be perfect in this life, so stop beating yourself up for failing.

I loved when Holland talked about how much Christ loves each of us, someone who was never wrong or clumsy or incapable sees our full potential and loves us so purely, despite our flaws and imperfections. He refuses to let us go. So don't let yourself go. Love yourself and those who are struggling and trying just as hard around you. We all have things to work on, so help someone else out, and you'll see yourself grow in the process!

Conference sushi break with
all the sisters
REACHING OUT TO HELP OTHERS. Another good topic that was covered in a few different talks was showing love to others through service. The recent hurricanes and natural disasters came up, and the amazing outpouring of service and selflessness of people became so much more evident, as people rushed from even other states, to help those in need. As we serve others, we will learn to love them.

That's a big goal as I move to my next area. I want to learn to love the people there as much as I love those in Chico. By serving them, I'll be able to feel that Christ-like love much more easily, than by staying inside my head and freaking out about my imperfections or what I don't know. As we look outwards, Heavenly Father helps make those internal changes we want to but don't know how to make on our own. So as Elder Alonso said in his talk, "Show love without technology," and "use your hands and feet to serve."

Sister Struthers: she's a fav, and we
go back and forth so much with
snarky comments :)
There was so much good in conference, and I hope you all get to find some message that resonates with you, and something that can affect you positively. For those reading who are not members of the church, check out lds.org General Conference!

Good Luck with everything this next week, and Keep It Real :)

As always, I love the updates!
Sister Whitesell
teresa.whitesell@myldsmail.net

8583 Watt Ave.
Antelope, CA 95843

I'll post my official new address next week when I know. Right now I have no idea what it will be...

I'll send more pictures next week of people from Chico, but currently they're on my camera. I'll miss everyone, but it will be so good to start a new chapter, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment