Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Marco Pollo

Lauren fed us before we taught her
"Day 1 of my diet going well"
I never really know how to start these without sounding repetitive but then again, life's kind of repetitive regarding some things. So it's Monday again: 2nd Monday in 2018, still going strong so that's good. Haven't been to the gym a single time this year yet, so my New Year's resolution is so far successful.

BAD CHICKEN JOKE. Another great week out in northern CA. It's currently raining as we speak, which is a miracle in and of itself because I'm in CA: it doesn't rain here. Except when it does.

last Monday we got to go to
Folsom Lake!
raking gems
Chamberlains! Gotta love seeing your friend's
parents while you're on a mission
This week's terrible joke was ruined because I put the punch line in the subject, but I thought it was funny! I know some missionaries who would be proud of the pun. Anyway we were at a dinner, and the grandma had tons of rooster and chicken figurines around the kitchen, and each one has a name. Then she pointed to the one on the table and told us its name was Marco. So of course my mind went, "Pollo?" So the rooster's name is Marco Pollo now, whether she likes it or not. If you don't get the joke go look up what pollo means in Spanish.
Sister Johnson goes above and beyond
always, so she came up with this
amazing design for the Standards of
Excellence our Zone has. I helped
cut all the pieces :)

scripture picture
RAKING WITH A PURPOSE. I'll start with the biggest thing that happened this week, that shook me a little and that's exchanges. Not only was my companion who I can't spend a minute without (literally) leaving for the whole day, I had to take over the area and I haven't done that in a super long time! Definitely gave me perspective on how amazing our companionship is. But also, we saw so many miracles that day! Sister Storms is still technically in training but she definitely isn't. We made a bomb set of sisters. We were able to double up with the Rocklin 1st/5th sisters (Sister Barrows and Walker) and do another raking service.

Find Sister Johnson
This was by far the most impactful of the ones we've done previously. By the time we finished the yard, the neighbor across the street had gotten 3 trash bins from neighbors for us, lent us a leaf blower, and given us candy as a thank you. And that was just the one neighbor! The mom whose yard we raked came out and talked to us, then a member down the road came out and helped too.
more perks of a photographer
companion; she takes all the good
pics in my weeklys. Look how
vibrant the grass was though!

nametag pics of course


Everyone was grateful we were doing it because apparently the son that lives there isn't the best regarding chores and doing what he's asked. But it was so cool to see how much help we were getting, and how many people appreciated the simple act we'd done. Raking with a purpose apparently works really well in this area! In a perfect world, I'd be randomly shoveling people's driveways but guess what, all the snow is back home in MA so I guess leaves will do.

last p-day, again at the lake
all the prep for the
Standards of Excellence
ALL OF CHURCH. Coolest thing this week was yesterday at church. Lauren, the one I mentioned last week, was able to come to all 3 hours of church! Sister Johnson and I were a little unsure where she was regarding baptism still, though, because people in their early 20s are terrible at communicating and vocalizing things (me included) so we just didn't know. But during 3rd hour of church, she was making a comment about fellowshipping success in the ward, and how since she's still investigating she notices it a lot.
Anything else you want out of
our knock? Maybe morse code?

having some fun at the lake
Then all of a sudden she says, "And I guess since I have the floor, I'm getting baptized at the end of this month, so you should all come!" I don't know if my jaw has dropped so fast and my heart gotten so excited, all at once. It was the best! She's so solid and I love working with her because she's our age, and Sister Johnson and I relate to her in such a good way. She's one that I would come back to California to visit :)
Lake shots

To end, I'll share some things I've been able to reflect on especially this week. Believe it or not I wasn't going over the past year because it's a new year or a new start. The mission just gives you lots of opportunity to reflect on how you've changed and the progress you make. This seems to be a recurring theme with me, but I can't emphasize enough the importance of being yourself. I knew that coming out on a mission, I'd have to make some adjustments regarding everything, because missions are so different from just living life in college. But I didn't realize until I got out here that you truly can build yourself to be the person you want to be, and share what you know with others in your own way.
this is just our companionship

NO MOLD. Our Heavenly Father wants each of us as individuals because everyone has a different perspective, understanding, and capability to connect with and uplift others. The best way to help others is by just being yourself.
mission life is hard work, as is
stomping down leaves in a skirt

For me, I didn't fully know who I was because I unintentionally put myself into boxes like "family," "school," and "church." Each of my companions has taught me different ways to start to blend all of those together. It hit me this past week, just how much happier and confident I've become. Over time the mission has helped me realize that there are people who need my unique perspective and the quirky personality I've grown up into. You should never try to fit into a mold you think society wants you to fill. Honestly, what does "normal" even mean? Heavenly Father wants your individuality, your mistakes, and your experiences to help others. So take some time to figure out what makes you happy, and be that!
We still get amazing sunsets
even though I'm not in Auburn anymore

Good luck this week, and for those shoveling: send some of it this way! Miss you guys, and of course thanks for all the updates!

Sister Whitesell
teresa.whitesell@myldsmail.net

751 Central Park Dr., #321
Roseville, CA 95678

No comments:

Post a Comment