Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Woooooaaaah, we're halfway there!

I got to see Sister King at the store today!
We figured we'd belatedly celebrate 9 months
with holding bread, of course
Yup, it's official: people no longer think I'm new to the mission when they ask how long I've been out. Granted, I also say "a little under a year" at this point, cause Sister Johnson and I have a goal of not talking much about time, but 9 months is a big one!

the lengths missionaries will go,
to NOT have their companion
back out the car
CHOLESTEROL CUE. Anyway, prime moment of the week: there are always plenty, but here are a few highlights. We asked our investigator what his "constant" was (to be able to find something that he does every day, as a cue for when to pray. So he can pray every day). His immediate response was "cholesterol." Honestly I don't think I've had a better response to that question! Sister Johnson and I may or may not have died laughing just a little bit. The humor some people have is amazing, and definitely something I love about being a missionary!

KAMIKAZE FOWL. Also while we were in Loomis, we stopped by a YSA's house and when we parked the car, we were looking around at all the creatures outside. We hadn't seen any in a little while, as Rocklin is much more suburban. There were turkeys, a horse, 4 deer, and a few cats all in view, and right as we were planning on getting out, we heard a THUMP and then saw more turkeys running out from behind the car. So we got to be the victim of a turkey attack as one ran into our car. Neature!

A church member gave us these,
and all I could think of when I
saw it was a pun that would make
some proud and others
cry a little inside
PICK UP THE PACE. From my announcement last week (that we are covering 2 wards now), you may be wondering how 'taking over 2 wards/congregations' is working out. If I had two words, I'd say 'wonderfully chaotic!' Holy Smokes there is so much to do and never enough time but we're making it work! I love having so many new people to meet and teach and find! Change is never a bad thing and a lot of change is even better! But we've already seen so many miracles with this ward and I'm excited to keep working with them. One of the biggest miracles was we were going to teach the Byrd family. They're less active, and their 9-year-old son isn't a member yet, but they want to get back into the gospel. However it's not their biggest focus yet, so the previous missionaries were trying to work with them.
I didn't include this one last
week, when Sister Walker
went home (she "died")

We pull up to the house, and I totally had been there before! We knocked on the door and Sister Byrd opened it, looked at us and actually recognized me. 8 weeks ago I went on exchanges with Sister Barrows and Sister Andersen, and we taught this family the first lesson, which happened to be the last one they'd had until now. The fact that I'm now going to be in their ward/congregation, and have the opportunity to continue working with them, is amazing. I'm excited to find out more of why this coincidence has taken place.

The impacts you have last longer than you think! Sister Byrd remembered some of what we taught from the last lesson, and was so excited to have a new missionary (me) who they already knew, in their ward. Even when you feel like you don't make a difference, someone needs you and the talents and personality you have!
self-explanatory

FULL DAY. Last bit: let me just tell you about how ridiculous Saturday was (Saturday was my 9 month mark, halfway through the mission). Clearly I needed a crazy day, to match how crazy it is that I've been out this long. We started our first lesson at 9 a.m. Usually we don't leave until 10 but since this is a new ward, and this being the only time our investigator could meet, we agreed.

We show up, and it's actually her and some of her friends getting together. So we crashed a monthly gathering they have, and we got to see how God affects so many people so positively. By noon, we'd had 3 lessons already. We had about 15 minutes for lunch before another lesson, which we then had to end a little early to make a meeting with our new Bishop.

we had to stay within sight and sound
We had time for personal study and a short comp study, then it was straight to dinner and another lesson. And somehow we got a weekly report typed up, too. We didn't finish working until 10:15 p.m. Some days are definitely busier than others! But everything we do is worth it, and as weird as it sounds, I've still never been happier despite the difficulties.

SCRIPTURE ON THE ATONEMENT. The scripture of the week is 1 Nephi 21:16, "Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me."

Taylor's Shakes! They've got walls full
of flavors! And it's a famous place for
missionaries, so now I can say I've gone.
The shakes are amazing too :)
This is one of my all-time favorite scriptures for multiple reasons. It focuses on the Atonement, and it reminds us of how much He loves us, and the impossibility of Him ever forgetting about us. It's in my patriarchal blessing, and it talks about our trials and struggles that He suffered for. He has chosen against having a perfect resurrected body so that He has an eternal reminder etched and engraved into the very fibers of His otherwise perfect being, of what He did for you...of the pains and trials you will go through.

The walls that you feel like you can't overcome are always at the forefront of His mind, so that this earth life can be easier and in the end have a greater eternal impact on you in the life after this too. Because of this we can have that hope, that things will be better and I know it does get better, even when at times it seems impossible to keep going on and moving forward.

You have to let the little things
bring you joy, too
So never give up on Him, because he never has and never will give up on you! That promise was sealed through His atoning blood and sacrifice, so you can know of a surety that He loves you and will always be with you.

Remember life doesn't always have to be about the trials...find something that makes you happy this week and do it!

Sister Whitesell
teresa.whitesell@myldsmail.net

751 Central Park Dr. #321
Roseville, CA 95678

No comments:

Post a Comment