Wednesday, August 22, 2018

A Man Named Kim

clearly enthused
**Side note: for any who want a shorter version of missionary work instead of reading the whole weekly email, I wrote a poem at the end of this post that describes it pretty well. (also my mom wanted me to put in the poem, and I send out my weeklies through her so I think if I didn't, she would put it in anyways)

Last week was 3 eons long, and this week came and went amazingly fast! Honestly I have no idea what we even did. Well, I know a few things, but I'm not sure how we got anything done in the 3 seconds that the week happened.

conference with President Oaks!
A GREAT START. First off, I don't know if I could have started this week any better than I did, because I got to go on exchanges with SISTER CURTIS! Martis and Terell reunited for a good 24 hours :) I went on so many exchanges as her companion, it's only fitting that I actually do one with her. And, it was amazing to learn from her again for a day! The whole day was full of miracles, and she's probably the most organized person I know, so it rubbed off on me. When I got back to Sister Tuha I suddenly remembered how to be a missionary again, and reorganized myself!

HAPPIEST MORNING OF MY LIFE!
The morning of our exchange was, no joke, one of the best/happiest mornings I've had on my mission. For our exercise, the sky had clouds spattered across the horizon that made for an amazing sunrise, the air was crisp and cool, and we got to walk a member's dogs! 3 adorable, albeit very excited, German shepherds!

So, I did what any sane person in an amazing mood would do, and decided to sprint with each of the 3 of them (one at a time) back and forth. I very quickly realized how out of shape I really am. But that's okay because at least I'm out of shape doing the Lord's work, right? Anyway, Sister Curtis is amazing, and I was happy the entire day. I learned SO much, cause she has so much insight on training, doing missionary work, and balancing all the missionary aspects required to be a successful missionary. Real life Wonder Woman.
lip sync anyone?

NEW FRIEND. I still did plenty of absurd things this week, but right now there's no time for ridiculousness. I have to tell you about the man named Kim! Sister Tuha and I went to a lesson in Citrus Heights, and a man was outside placing a pipe in a driveway. Seemed like a nice guy, but we had a lesson to go to!

Well, we finished the lesson and he was still there. We even walked all the way back to the car when we both paused at the car door, looked at each other, then turned around and walked back. We started talking to him, and he's the nicest man on the planet. His name?

we heard someone inside but
they didn't answer 
I already spoiled it but in case you didn't catch it the first 2 times, it's Kim :) His old boss was a member of the church but never pushed much, which only allowed the seed to grow for Kim. We gave him a book of Mormon. He scanned it quickly and then told us, "Looks like about a day and a half." So hopefully he is able to at least start it! We walked back to the car after getting his number, and we pulled out our map to look at the next stop.

comp unity even before the
transfer happened
The story doesn't end there. I look up and see Kim walking across the street, making a beeline towards the car. I roll down the window, expecting some concern to have manifested in the past 2 minutes. Then he says, "What do you want? I'm paying." Confusion on my part...suddenly it registered what he said, and we heard the music of an ice cream truck! I've never seen Sister Tuha get out of a car faster than she did then. Kim is probably the coolest person EVER, and I really hope he finds what he is looking for in the Book of Mormon!

THE FALL. Speaking of books, we had a lesson at the library this week. I haven't been in one for so long, so it was good to be back. Well, I looked down one of the aisles as we walked around, and one of the first books I saw was titled "The Great Fall" so of course I had to look at it and see what the world had to say on Adam and Eve and the Plan of Salvation, or the apostasy, one of the 2. And then, looking at the back cover, I was reminded that I was in a PUBLIC library, and the book was just a normal novel. #missionaryproblems

when it rains...
ANOTHER MIRACLE: Eric. To preface, Heavenly Father works in even the smallest details of our lives, and guides us in so many ways we don't recognize. We were visiting a member who had supposedly recently moved in and her apartment was hidden in the maze that CA complexes tend to be. We ended up finding it by walking around on a dirt path on top of a hill by the side of the main road. Well, to walk back to the car we could either:

a) take the paved route or
b) traverse the miniature mountain and risk biffing it down the muddy slope that we had scaled on the way over.

Spur of the moment, I decided to take the road I'd traveled before and we managed to safely make it back to the paved road. Little did I know that it wasn't me making the decision at all. By walking around that specific way, we crossed paths with Eric, a long-lost member who's been church-hopping for years. He always claims "Mormons are the best church" he's been to. He's been looking for a church again for his kids to come to, and then all of a sudden we walk right in front of him and start a conversation!

...slip n slides!!
(fun fact: he was talking about snow to someone, so obviously I had to give my two cents...) We talked for a good 20 minutes, and we'll be getting in contact with him again this week. Hopefully despite the difficult time for the kids, he can make it to church next week!

You can find Heavenly Father in every detail of what you do. When you listen to what He has to say and are willing to act on the instruction He gives, you can know you are growing, and figuring out the person he knows you have the potential to be. He loves you for the personality you have, and the individual ways you impact those you come in contact with!

He tells us over and over again in the Book of Mormon and Bible what joys can come from keeping his commandments, and doing those simple things He asks us to do. When you do that, He can help influence you to do more good than you ever thought you could do.

Thanks for all your support!
Here is my poem.

A Sacrifice for Me

Kim!
A million thoughts go through my mind
Each building on the last
So many things I need to do
Despite the time that's passed

Every time I turn around
They're asking me for more
Find her, teach him, help them move in
Do they live here? Not sure

And don't forget to save the world
Without causing offense
To anyone you may talk to
Who offers their two cents

Hours and days, then weeks go by
With no relief in sight
How can I serve my fellowmen?
I give with all my might

My body grows weak, I can't go on
I've nothing I can give
To reach the standards that I've set
It's a hard life to live
she had sheer terror on her face

I'm forced to kneel down on my knees
A cry for help to Him
To save me from this life I live
I don't want to give in

I pray for peace, some comfort please
I need a breath of air
To take me from the natural man
Who tells me life's not fair

Impatiently I wait for Him
To tell me He is there
As time goes on, the silence grows
I'm starting to despair

Eventually ideas slow
He helps me to move on
By giving me familiar words
Of a childhood song

can you tell we were companions?
"I see my mother kneeling
With our family each day
I hear the words she whispers
As she bows her head to pray"

My plea to the Father
Quiets all my fears
And I am thankful
He shows His love here

With infinite love and guidance clear
He takes me through the day
Showing His hand, His presence near
With all that I do and say

(singing) "and what huuuurts the
moooost, was being soooo cloooose
(to being comps: it was even on the
transfer boards!)
"This is my work, to bring to pass
Eternal life of man
I promise through me that you'll find peace
Just take my outstretched hand

Remember how I suffered for you
In Gethsemane
And later hung, my song unsung,
On a hill named Calvary"

His gentle words ring true to my soul
As I think of His great care
To help me through this difficult life
Avoiding the tempter's snare

The spirit guides my thoughts for me
My purpose here is shown
He wants me back to live with Him
Not tarry here alone

He gently asks me to trust in Him
It's His true church, not mine
I cannot grow the seeds I sow
Without His help divine

A million thoughts go through my mind
they stole my tablet
Each building on the last
So many things He's done for me
Feeling alone has passed


Keep it real out there!
Sister Whitesell

teresa.whitesell@myldsmail.net
5 Marcia Way Apt 131
Roseville, CA 95747

No comments:

Post a Comment