Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Lukewarm Christians Make Good Mormons

Long live Rocklin Zone
(This week, we found the title of this post on the cover of another faith's facebook page...)

I'm proud to announce that I'm a "Lukewarm Christian" and I'm lovin' it! Honestly, it's so great I'd try it out if I were you. It's good to know that the new definition of "Lukewarm Christian" is...

*leaving my family and friends for 18 months,
*striving to live every moment according to His will,
all of Sister Curtis's companions
doing what SHE does best
*pushing through the hardest trials to do everything I can to find someone else to bring the joy of this gospel to, and
*living every day to the best of my ability as Christ would:)

The best part? We were with Rosalyn and Efren when we found that facebook page and quote, so I got to feel the love they had for us, through their defense of the Mormon faith!
when people think you're mad but you're
just chillin' thinking about what
you're gonna eat for dinner

As frustrating as it might be sometimes to know that other people actually offer classes on how to avoid the Mormons ("don't read the Book of Mormon, that's how they get you"), it did bring me a measure of joy to see and feel the love (from Rosalyn and Efren) of people who I care about so much who aren't even a part of our church! Quite the combination.
The only picture we got of
Sister Smith smiling (far left)

our car adventures
PARKING SKILLS CHALLENGED. On the topic of ridiculousness, we're gonna have a quick throwback. When I was in the Rocklin YSA with Sister Johnson, we decided to mess with the Elders a little and park our car as close to theirs as possible so they would have to climb through the passenger's seat to get to the driver's seat. Well, that practice was something I got to use again this week! Saturday night, it's been a long day (but spiritually uplifting and crazy amazing) and I'm exhausted to the point that my eyes are starting to hurt a little bit.

yes. very close.
We get to our complex as the sweet, sweet relief of closing the day (and putting on pants) were minutes away...or so I thought.

We get to our parking spot, only to find a black Chrysler parked poorly in not one, but TWO spots, the second of which being OURS. Imagine yourself in that situation. Yeah, feel the frustration with me for a sec. So in reference to my first paragraph this post, I guess I did NOT spend the next few moments acting as Christ would...

(also I got to SEE Sister Swensen!
If you couldn't tell by the fact
that I have pictures with her)
Sister Tuha and I contemplated what to do next, as our precious evening time was on the line. We decided to spend the extra few minutes wriggling ourselves into our parking space anyway (we could have called the tow guy, but we were being passive-aggressively 'nice'). The fun thing about our parking spot is that there's a pole on the left side, so we had to do our best to squeeze the car in between this Chrysler and the pole. Thankfully, like any good missionary with a car, I had a "backer!" Or, in this case, a "fronter" (mission rules, when backing in, one companion must be out of the car guiding the driver).
I wasn't kidding when
I said it was close!

Sister Tuha expertly guided me inch by inch, to fit into the space the kind owners of the Chrysler had left me. There was a whole inch of clearance on both sides! Easy Peasy :) And the driver definitely would've had to climb through the passenger side. Don't worry, I have pictures. Moral of the story, apparently a tired Sister Whitesell will create her own adventures. Actually an awake one will too, but hey it made a normally annoying situation fun!

P.S. After our car parking incident, we walked to our door to see a smiley faced balloon, a foam sword, and a DDP (Doctor Dave Pettey) card in the door with the words "slay 'em with the spirit!" on it :)
the (foam) Sword and the Stone
(balloon...?)

Sister Swensen in 2 pictures
DESIRE TO CHANGE. Besides the usual distractions of the week, we had so many miracles! There's always SOMEthing to be happy about, even when the trials you're going through seem endless. If anything, you can know the Lord trusts you enough to give you more. One amazing miracle this week was Chris. He's been taught by missionaries for a long time and guess what, we get to teach him now since we're in the YSA!

there are a lot more photo attempts
 than just these two, trust me :/
We knocked on the door and when he opened it, he was instantly honest with us in the best of ways. He knows what we do and loves it, and wants to make changes in his life to eventually join the church. The spirit came so strongly as he testified, and with it came joy, if not a little skepticism because apparently I need to work on my own faith.

Later that day, he texted us and asked us what readings we would suggest for him. As a missionary, that RARELY happens! It was so cool to see his enthusiasm put into action, and his desire to change. We met with him a couple of days later and read Alma 36 with him, on Alma the Younger's conversion story and successful change. The spirit was once again strong, as he was so excited about what he was learning that he kept on reading, more than his 2 verses! Then, excited and uplifted, we invited him to church, knowing he'd bailed a few times on previous Sister missionaries.
we had to pass off Valerie to the
other sisters :( It's been
amazing teaching her though!
Trying to get a picture
for facebook

Sunday rolled around. Lo and behold, he came to church with a member of the congregation and he stayed all 3 hours. On top of that, he showed kindness to a few who might be considered "underdogs." It was amazing to watch as he reached out to help where he could.

Then, icing on the cake, the member he rode with stayed after for a minute to take out trash, so what did Chris do? He helped, and not only did he help but when the member was talking to someone, HE FINISHED EMPTYING THE TRASH IN THE CLASSROOMS ON HIS OWN! Sometimes all you need is the example of someone else to bring a little faith back. I love the opportunity I have to experience firsthand when people have the desire to change because of the gospel! I know he's been prepared for a long time by other missionaries, and am excited to see what more we can do to help him!

AN IMPORTANT STORY. I'll end with a part of my testimony. This Sunday was fast and testimony meeting (the 1st Sunday of the month, members fast for 2 meals, and in the church meeting they have the opportunity to share some of what they believe). I had the chance to reflect on my own beliefs.

red suns almost every day
this week (fires burning
around California)
best mode of transportation is
always ON the car, right?!
My testimony is about a story. It's a story you all know pretty well. It's got ups and downs, plot twists, plateaus, growth and digression. Thankfully there are happy moments despite the sad ones. The best thing about this story is that no matter how it's told, it's changed someone's life. This story makes an impact that sometimes isn't noticed, but is still needed. What story could I possibly be talking about, that somehow you know so well? It's yours.

hey if I had a tree that could
hold my scooter, I'd use it too
The life you live, including the pieces you share with others, is so important. You and your experiences, your imperfections and flaws are needed because someone else has learned, and will learn from it. I know that miracles happen when we're willing to share with someone, an experience that has impacted us. This gospel has completely changed my life, and allowed me to see just how needed and important YOU are! Thank you for being a part of MY story :)

On that cheesy note, good luck this week and keep it real out there!

(And hopefully your air quality is better than the smoke we're breathing out here:/)

Sister Whitesell

No comments:

Post a Comment