Monday, October 29, 2018

Harvesting Cornrows

So, Sister Whitesell has this pride complex where she has to do something almost any time someone says, "Do it. You won't." Yeah, not the best but I do have my limits, still. However this week, it wasn't quite past that limit.
honestly don't know how I got to serve in
an area as cool as Mount Shasta!
HAIR IT IS. While in Corning, Sister Wright expressed that she was curious what I'd look like in cornrows. And since she's someone who likes doing hair, I worked on some other projects I had to do, while she worked her magic on my hair.
If we had one picture to describe
our companionship

Then halfway through, she challenged me to wear them to our District Council the next day...the looks I got from some of the other missionaries were priceless! The best part is, we had been picked to do a role play and practice teaching two of the new missionaries. I was impressed at their skills of keeping a straight face. Can't say it's a hairstyle I'll be doing again, but now I can mark that off the list of ridiculous things to do while on a mission!

my companion (we found a really cool bridge
and I got some good candids)
FALL ROCKS. We also got to have the annual Harvest Festival, or Trunk or Treat, Halloween Party, or whatever you want to call it, on Saturday! This is the event of the year where not only do the most amazing members come, but also dozens of families show up from all over, who not even the members who have lived there for years know. It's amazing to see an event like that bring together so many who haven't been able to come to church in so long! There were a dozen or so chilis to try, and cornbread--and after being hangry all afternoon it was glorious.
"so, do you want the gospel? --or Nah?" --
Sister Wright and me being ridiculous
my cornrows
EXTREME TOURNAMENT. We helped run the Musical Chairs and man, some kids get intense with their Musical Chairs! It was like watching soccer: one kid overdramatized falling on the floor from another boy taking his chair, and crawled into the corner and cried because he lost. It was traumatic. But we indoctrinated one of the girls in the ward with some great Nashville and EFY (youth conference) songs for the music, and had a great rest of the evening.
Another shot of cornrows

Side note, I know it's been awhile and I'm not serving in the south anymore, but this week deserves a

BROTHER PETTEY SHOUTOUT. Being as ridiculous as he is, he mailed us some glow in the dark stars a couple of weeks ago and Sister Wright and I figured out where to put them up this week! It's been crazy busy so we haven't had time until now, but it makes every night so much better. The best part? We see the real ones, including the Milky Way, every night before we go in because we take a minute or two to enjoy them. Missionaries aren't kidding when they say Mt. Shasta is the promised land!

no words needed
So, what crazy things happen that make us so busy out here in the mountains? Aside from having to drive 50 miles a day? Let me tell you.
Weed...love to come by and visit!
MIRACLES. That's what! Specifically Book of Mormon miracles. My testimony of the Book of Mormon has grown SO MUCH this week! I've been more diligent in reading through it; in the past I've picked chapters or topics we need to study more for a particular day or person. Now with President Nelson's challenge (to read the whole thing before the end of the year), I have specific chapters to read in order. It's been amazing to see how that direction has brought the spirit in the mornings during studies in a stronger and better way. Not only that, but there were 3 huge miracles that I got to see firsthand with how the Book of Mormon changes lives.
Rubicons, what's your turning point?
(shoutout to Sister Taylor)

FIRST. With someone we're teaching. We stopped by, and he told us how today wasn't a good day, and he was dealing with some family issues that had happened. When we told him we only had 10 minutes he agreed to read some, forewarning us that he probably wouldn't feel any better after reading. Then, when our 14 verses were up, he told us that the scriptures we read (Alma 32) had actually helped and were what he needed to hear! Miracles.

one of the worlds hidden wonders
SECOND. We teach a few less active members and one in particular had a complete 180 change this week because of her reading. She'd been depressed and unmotivated, but as soon as she opened the door I knew something was up. She was dressed, wearing makeup, and had a brighter countenance than when I saw her 2 weeks ago. When we came in she immediately started telling us about how something had clicked from her reading of the Book of Mormon, and watching certain General Conference talks. At the end of the lesson we helped her carry her coffee machine and tea downstairs to the donation table! Miracles.

putting up the stars is the fun part!
FINAL. The Big One: we were reading with an older couple who is homebound, and in the past sisters have visited and done their best to uplift them. It's hard to get Brother Brockman to focus since his mind goes all over the place, but his wife was very content sitting and listening to us read. We spent a good 10 minutes redirecting the conversation to eventually start reading the Book of Mormon, as he was doing his best to avoid it and go off on other tangents (it was kinda funny but we were determined!). Since he didn't want to read, he kept telling us he'd rather read other books.

LEAVES!! Oh man, the fall here has
been longer than usual (according to
the locasl) and I got to see some
colors that can sort of (but not really)
compare to Massachusetts!
We started finally, and after getting through our verses he would stop and make comments, and by the end his mentality had completely changed! It went from complete avoidance to "yeah I can do my best to finish the chapter" with him putting a bookmark in the book. Miracles! The Book of Mormon is so amazingly true and I love the spirit it brings!

Yeah, in all these buckets is...
CHOCOLATE
BUSY AND COMMITTED. The final thing I wanted to mention was Steven. I've talked about him in a few previous emails, but he's still one of the most solid people I've met on my mission. It's very rare you find a 23-year-old willing to take time out of their week to study about Christ! And the coolest part is that he's also the busiest college student I've met with 1 day off each week, Sunday, as requested by him so he could come to church. We talked with him about prayer last week, and it's been amazing to hear how his testimony has grown, as he's made it a habit to pray every day!
also my companion

This is why I'm a missionary. This is why I get up early every morning, study, work, push myself out of my comfort zone. It's because what we teach is true. It's because I get to take part in seeing people's lives change for the better! I've started reemphasizing my efforts with my morning prayers, and I'm not someone who is fully functional as soon as I roll out of bed, but I'm gaining a testimony of how it helps the day go better when you start it with that solid communication with Him. It's never too late to start! There are always things to improve on, but as long as your communication with our Heavenly Father is good, you can honestly make it through anything.
notice the huge pinecone she's
carrying (Sasquatch?)

I know, I know, it's cheesy, but it's true! Good luck this week and keep looking for those opportunities to build your foundation!

I sound like a commercial but hey, honesty is key.

Sister Whitesell

teresa.whitesell@myldsmail.net

311 Old McCloud Rd. Apt B
Mount Shasta, CA 96067

No comments:

Post a Comment