Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Happy Halloween?

Once again, it's somehow Monday and I'm not quite sure how we got here so fast.
The more ridiculous thing is it's November, and that's NOT ok!

Shasta Dam last Monday!
This was one of those crazy miraculous weeks where every day is full of more than you think you can fit! And a lot of interesting connections I didn't realize there would be.

SISTER WHITESELL MOMENTS.
*The number of times I've gotten into the car and left the keys in my bag, thinking I can just press the button to start the car, is too many. I've gotten better about not doing that, but Sister Wright had plenty of moments to laugh at me for when I pushed a nonexistent button!

I looked both ways don't worry
*I'm so used to driving a Malibu, not gonna lie; it's been nice to drive fancier cars than I probably ever will in my life! Plus the push start is fun. The Rav4 is a normal turn-the-key start.

*I think I can count on my two hands the number of times I've remembered to close the garage door. Sister Wright confiscated the remote from me. Three Sister Whitesell moments this week. No biffing it on the sidewalk this time!

another p-day pic at the dam
HIGHLIGHTS. Okokokok now for the best parts of the week: the crazy amazing miracles! One of them was people knowing each other that we didn't realize. On Tuesday, we went to visit someone we teach named Leticia and her daughter Ella.

coolest pic of Mt. Shasta I'll probably ever take
Tangent: Tuesday was my exchange with Sister Martin! She's been out for a good two weeks now, and it was so fun to be with her! She's already a bomb missionary, and the best part? She's from Colorado :)

Exchanges sometimes lead to
hanging out for breakfast
at the Shasta Lake Sisters' apartment
When we went into the house, there was another 9-year-old there named Brooklyn. I hadn't ever met her before but when we asked Ella about church, Brooklyn piped in, "I like going to the Mormon church too!" I was pretty surprised, and then learned that she's one of the Robinson kids that Sister Taylor and I were trying to find but had moved from Lake Shastina.

I'd given up hope of finding them since usually when people move they're gone, but the Robinsons were in Weed! We figured out where the house was and were able to visit later in the week, and met her dad too :) Miracles!

We had a district lunch and we
can't take normal pictures
FINDING FRIENDS. Another miracle, we haven't been able to contact Cale much, since he's been sick and having some struggles with family. He got a new number, as we learned this week, so it was hard to know how he was doing. We went on a Cale Hunt because it's been so long and I really wanted to see him.

Almost 7000 ft: they closed the gate so we
couldn't go up further to where
Sister Taylor and I were
We started driving around where we've seen him in the past, trying to find his apartment complex. The whole time I'm praying that we find him, because I needed it probably more than he did, but still. There are tons of kids out, with trick or treating starting up. A song I really like came on, and I took that as a little message from Him that everything would be okay and work out in His timing. That brought me the peace I needed, and for me to be okay with NOT finding Cale if it wasn't His will tonight.
we only fill the tank 2X a week,
we don't drive much here

We try the main street by the school one more time and I'm kinda slowly (haven't told W I'm praying so hard to talk with him and find him), when all of a sudden she says, "Is that him?" She points to a driveway where, there he is, standing with Ella who is dressed as Cinderella.

Later W told me it was divine intervention because she wasn't really looking for him, and doesn't really know what he looks like. When she looked up she looked directly at him, and I felt so much better afterwards. He's still a punk, he's been sick, but aside from life giving him crap he's still Cale. I love him so much and was so glad to see him!
Sometimes the dogs drive out here

BEST COSTUME. Also, as we walked to him, there were a lot of people with costumes on. A dad looked at us, laughed a little, and said, "Mormons?" We nodded then he said, "Nice one!" and kept going...the guy thought we were 'dressed up' as missionaries! Halloween: it's a blast as a missionary.

LISTENING. The biggest miracle this week was probably Wednesday after district council. We headed home, and on the way back stopped in Dunsmuir to do some work. We had some people we planned to visit, and I wasn't expecting to meet many new people, considering our time constraints. Well I sat in the car, honestly building up the energy to get out and talk to someone (I was exhausted already).

We love the roads in Weed! This one we
decided against facing
Welcome to Weed, Sister Martin!
Sister Wright asked me if I was feeling anything, since me being exhausted and me quietly trying to figure out where the spirit is directing me looks about the same. I responded, and in that response had the phrase "not yet" in it, just leaving my option open. So of course, not 20 minutes later we're driving down random roads I've never been on before, following a spirit trail to meet someone He needed us to. When we finally got to the road we needed to be on, Sister Wright immediately said, "I know why we're here."

yes, Sister Hales is in cornrows
In our looping around, we'd seen someone outside with their dog and waved to them. He'd gone inside by the time we got to his street, so we knocked on his door. Andrew opened and I could tell immediately that he was struggling, and even if we didn't get a teaching appointment out of it, Heavenly Father had sent us there to show him love. We talked for almost 15 minutes and the spirit was so strong! It was so cool to watch his countenance change as we talked with him, and for him to feel joy but not know quite what to do with it :)
companion inventory during lunch?

Of course some of the
members have
legit swords
Long story short, we'll be visiting with him next week to talk a bit more about the Book of Mormon we gave him! And after talking, he put in the effort to walk down the street and point out a house that would enjoy discussing religion, WITHOUT us needing to ask him about referrals! Then, two of the guys in the house he directed us to now have copies of the Book of Mormon, and curiosity to learn more about our faith. There were so many miracles!

RECOGNIZE THE MESSAGE. That experience in particular taught me more about how if He wanted to, He could lead us to every single one of His children who are prepared to hear the gospel, but that's not what missions are about.

some people have kittens
Missions are about becoming converted yourself, learning to be obedient and recognize how He speaks to us. There's nothing extraordinary about missionary work. The name tag doesn't define us as another group of members of the church who have additional abilities. We just have a stronger focus and are set apart with stewardship over specific areas. Anyone who has the Holy Ghost and a desire to bring others to Him can be a missionary; we just have to know how to be obedient and how we receive personal revelation.
Sister Tuha's fam made me a lava lava
and I finally got it!

Because of guidance from Him and the willingness of people to listen and be open, we were able to find so many people who wanted to hear more about the gospel! And there were plenty others who we were able to uplift and strengthen. There's so much we can each do, and honestly: I have the best "job" in the world!

An alpaca, don't ask,
I don't know, but
I love it!
It's hard but it's so worth it and He helps every step of the way. The best remedy I've had for struggle is service. Keep doing the amazing things you do and don't forget to have a little fun while you do it! If you're not, find a Sister Wright; she's pretty good at making everything more entertaining.
I look like I'm contemplating life but
I'm really just scratching my head

Sister Whitesell

teresa.whitesell@myldsmail.net

311 Old McCloud Rd. Apt B
Mount Shasta, CA 96067

No comments:

Post a Comment