Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Out With A Bang

It was a bit windy when we were trying to
capture the snow on Black Butte
Last One! It's crazy that I'll be back in Massachusetts on Thursday. But let me tell you, Sister Wright and I worked SO hard this final week, to reach the goals we had set! Mainly the "go out with a bang" goal.

Brief summary of miracles from the week, and then I'll write my eulogy, the final summary of 1/836824th of what I've learned over the last 18 months and 17 days!

The District! Since I'm 'dying' (ending my mission)
my 'spirit' was the only one present
So many things happened this week! Including zone conference with Elder Clayton of the 70, Thanksgiving, the Festival of Pies, sleeping in a hammock (I had to be like Sister Taylor and do it for at least 1 night), getting lost on the way to a member's home, saying bye to way too many people, and lots and lots of miracles!

our miraculous rainy day in Dunsmuir


P-DAY LIST. CHECK! We started off the week well by checking something off my mission bucket list: find someone new to teach on our Preparation Day, during the P-Day hours. Lo and behold, we were able to start teaching Kevin! He works at the Weed Souvenir Shop and we've talked to him a few times, but this time he started asking us about the Word of Wisdom since one of the members in our ward just got hired there.

final p-day! The Pearsons took us
snowshoeing up Mt. Shasta :)
ALL TOGETHER NOW. Then, Wednesday was a power day for us! We were set on doing exactly what He needed us to do. So, we went to Dunsmuir to visit a few people and instead found not 1, not 2, but SIX new people to teach that day! We used one of the things discussed at zone conference called the "round up," as Elder Clayton put it, where you go into the house and invite everyone in the household to join in on the lesson.

We started teaching 4 of the 6 new people that way. The other 2 were other miracles in themselves. Last week we'd given out a Book of Mormon to a lady who was outside, and we decided to swing by and see if she had read it. I'm gonna be honest and say I wasn't expecting much, because it's not often you find people who remember to do things without a follow-up text. Well, we knocked and she answered and let us know that because of Thanksgiving coming up tomorrow, she was a bit busy. We asked if she had read, and her answer was "I'm halfway through it" (!!!!!) MIRACLES!!
I just love this picture with the Kirby's
DIM ROOM GETS BRIGHTER. Then, while we were still there we got a text for a referral who said to come by Friday between 2 and 3. So, we went right then instead. Shaun is the nicest guy and it was an amazing experience for me to get to meet him. We knocked on the door and it opened to a shirtless guy and a waft of smoke. We asked for Shaun, and he said "stomp on the floor." We were outside on the little porch area after having walked up a flight of stairs. We looked at him for a sec, confused, so he told us again to "stomp on the floor." Sister Wright picked up her foot and stomped twice, after which the guy yelled, "SHAUN GET UP HERE" and then invited us in.
lenticular clouds in Shasta

We checked that there was a lady home, and then stepped inside to a scary-feeling, gloomy, poorly-lit apartment. He left us there and closed his door as Sister Wright scrambled for any sort of light switch to add a few watts to the room. We found one, but the feeling in the room was still creepy. Then Shaun walked in, and I was relieved to see the purpose of why we were there :) It got better. As soon as he started talking, the spirit was almost overwhelming with how much desire he had to learn more!
final district council with the Sisters!

Saturday we were in the right place at the right time, getting lunch in McCloud from a small shop with amazing bagel sandwiches. Well, they recently hired a new worker and she's so prepared! When we told her what we do, she immediately bounced into her own beliefs, and what being a disciple means, and walking the path with Christ. It was amazing to see HER bring the spirit to the situation! And just like that, we had 8 new people found this week.
Zone Conference carpool

VISITORS. But wait, there's more... We put a huge focus on church this week and inviting people to church, as we were both speaking in Sacrament Meeting, and it's my last week. I don't know that I've ever had more than 5 or 6 people who we asked to come, visit church. So, the amazing miracles trend of this week continued, and we had 11 people come to Sacrament Meeting! I loved seeing so many people we'd worked with come to church and support us. We bore testimony of the importance of gratitude (Sister Wright), and staying on the covenant path (me).

BAPTISM HIGHLIGHT. But wait, there's more... After church we dashed over to Yreka and Steven got baptized!!! Honestly I don't know how this week could have been any better. With a half-mission Zone Conference letting me see so many people I'd wanted to see before I go home, plus Thanksgiving, plus speaking in Sacrament Meeting, plus finding buckets of people to teach, plus Steven getting baptized: I can die happy :)
pics from the hike from 2 weeks ago

So now after that novel, here's my tribute to all of my billion companions.

#1. Sister King, my MTC compadre: she taught me what it's like to be a missionary! I learned how to be bold and honest from her and let's be real, how to teach a lesson in the first place since neither of us had done it before!

#2. Sister Hood (my trainer): oh man there aren't words to explain how amazing she was. I learned patience from her and how to be guided by the spirit, as well as a foundation for my mission that has given me more strength than I ever imagined possible.

STEVEN GOT BAPTIZED!
#3. Sister Wright 1.0: how can anyone be more enthusiastic about the gospel than her? Maybe Sister Kemp, but then again Sister Wright trained her. She showed me a new way to do work and how to love people for being themselves!
Thanksgiving at the Hunter's!

#4. Sister Swensen, the sweetest, smartest soul you'll ever meet. She gave me a high standard to memorize scriptures and teach with so much power! We kept following each other around the mission. It was amazing and what I needed!

#5. Sister Kikel: the strength of her testimony taught me that you can change a heart by opening yours. Never underestimate the worth of your story!

#6. Sister Hatch: diligence despite difficulties will only bring you further than you imagined. Adjusting to a new area and new companion was hard for her but she pushed through and did what He needed her to!

#7. Sister Thorum: if she's ever my nurse I'm gonna do exactly what she tells me to, she could take on a mountain man if she needed to! Her enthusiasm to do the work and way of finding the good in any situation made for some fun moments in Auburn!

Sister Swensen...wait I was comps with her twice, in 2 different trios, what more do you need in life other than all of the Swensen?

(we tried the kicking one again;
didn't turn out as good)
#8. Sister Anderson: give yourself 5 seconds of insane courage every day and don't forget to be yourself while you do it! She is an inspiration and we were laughing the entirety of that trio! Except the first night when I told her and Sister Johnson I'd duct tape their mouths shut 'cause I was so tired from all my crazy emergency transfers and they wouldn't stop talking...good thing they still like me!

Which leads to...

#9. Sister Johnson: what a nut. I learned so many things in those 3 1/2 months but the biggest ones were how to accept love, how to have a better work ethic (we wrecked Rocklin let me tell you), and how to have fun while doing all of that. 2 1/2 transfers as comps, then serving around each other for another 2 after that makes for some ridiculous moments!
Mt. Shasta is the prettiest area

#10. Sister Nield: what a woman! The most loyal friend you'll ever have, and willing to work through a concussion makes for a salty transfer in the best of ways! She also helped me learn that forgiveness brings the peace we all need!

#11. Sister Curtis: again, there aren't words to describe even a fraction of what I learned from her, but I finally had the perfect example of how to love others whole-heartedly, leaving them no room for doubt that we have a loving Heavenly Father. I think we just spent half the transfer reading each other's minds it was great!

#12. Sister Tuha: my only child born in the wilderness. She adjusted to missionary life so well, and showed a desire I admired. Sometimes the only thing to get you going in the work is knowing you're doing it for Christ. We had so many miracles and crazy moments in the Roseville home ward and Sierra YSA! Oh, were you starting to get comfortable in your ward? Good, let's add another!

Kami, the dog that hates everyone:)
not kidding, she GROWLS at
everyone, but I've been there
enough, she's fine with me!
#13. Sister Taylor: my deep doctrine dudette, percussion playing partner, storytelling star. You name it, we talked about it! I learned SO many things and most importantly, that I had to go home eventually. Somehow she made the descent so much easier! Gave me a few good spirit slaps along the way.

#14. Sister Manning: Corning chaos! A fire led to our timely meeting, and in those 6 days I saw a missionary with so many attributes I wanted to improve on! She taught me how to find miracles through works and faith. If you see her, she'll probably come up and talk to you.
Mt. Shasta featuring a windblown Sister Wright

#15. And last but certainly not least: Sister Wright 2.0! Compadre #15...I learned pure joy from her. The simplicity of what we share is all you need. She's mastered the aspect of becoming like a child in the best of ways! We laughed for 7 weeks (1 in Corning) and saw enough miracles to fill a mission in just 6 weeks.

I'm so grateful for the time I've had, and the learning I've been able to do in the past 18 months! There is no better way to learn something than to teach it. I know this gospel is true. I know Joseph Smith restored the fulness of the gospel on the earth today, and I know Christ lives and guides us! He needs you to help people like me figure certain things out :)
Steven wanted to be part of the jumping pics

Thanks for all the support you've given and I'll see you soon!

Sister Whitesell

No comments:

Post a Comment